Monday, November 9, 2009

processing . . . processing . . .

Apparently everything has a process. I’m not very patient (shut up) and I jumped right into writing this book. This is my first actual written material over a few pages and I decide it should be a book? Technically it is a 3-book story. WTF? So I started it and I am finished with the first 7 chapters and now I have a mess!

A little more than a decade ago, I worked on databases while I was in corporate training. I was the go between for the users and the programmer. And I even designed a few easier ones myself. I had basic knowledge in both areas (understanding what people want and basic database design). The reason that job is important is that you have to design the entire database (or most of it) before you can start making tables and linking them together. It is really quite complicated and if you don’t know what you want in the beginning then you can create a ton of extra work in the end.

The process I used was starting at the end result. I used to say “tell me every report you could ever want to print” then from that I would work backwards and figure out what tables should be included and information should be collected and entered. It was so much easier to make adjustments when you start that way.

This is what I need to do. I need to figure out my process on this book. I need to quit writing for a few days and map this damn thing out on paper before I have more mess than I can clean up. Damn. Crap. Damn. Well . . at least I know now instead of 3 months from now.

BTW – I did not type the word “just” even once in here. Now that is progress.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should take a look at the book that your very sweet and considerate husband bought for you. Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On it. Right now. Writing is on hold. Reading "how to" books and buying a sketch book or graph paper or something are totally on my list!

    ReplyDelete